Tuesday, August 9, 2011

First Day


It finally came...the first day of school. I didn't think I would have so many emotions. I have seen the day coming for a long time. I use to teach kindergarten/2 grade, so I felt I knew what we were in for. But the Sunday before school we headed to a church with a meeting following with other kindergarten parents. It was so nice to be in a group of others going through the same phase, to be able to share together and pray together. But for some reason that meeting made the school year "real" to me.

The night before, the family of five cuddled in the girls room to read a book. I thought I had the perfect book, The Kissing Hand, but the book brought the tears. Luckily I was able to hide them from Grace.

The nervous jitters must not of gotten to Grace too bad because she was in bed asleep by 7pm. (or maybe the afternoon swim birthday party wore her out) She was up on her own by 7 in the morning and ready to go!

There was so much commotion in the morning with getting kids dressed, taking pictures, breakfast, kids being dropped off ... that the anxiety was not there for any of us.



Grace found this at the kitchen table when she came to breakfast. She had pancakes, sausage links (just like maw maw's), strawberries and chocolate milk to get her tummy ready for the day.

I pinned a "kissing hand" inside her bookbag.

Here is mom and dad excited about the first day.

And maybe a little sad too.

But so far, Olivia has been the saddest one. She even cried when they drove away.

Grace proud of her new book bag.

Look at that face. There is no fear. No sadness. She has pure joy about the year starting! I am so excited to see what He has in store for her this kindergarten year. When I asked her what she was must excited about her first day she said, "Buying my school lunch!".

Her bus ride to school was...daddy. She did ask for him to walk her in. I was a little sad that I wasn't able to have this job. But so glad I have such a special man who is involved with his kids and willing to be part of this day and their daily life.
Chad said that once they got inside she no longer wanted to hold his hand. She was able to lead the way and found her room on her own. Chad helped her find the place to hang her bag and where to sit and then he was gone.
And then the longest day of my life begun. Waiting on a bus to arrive around 3:00 in the afternoon had to serious be my toughest job yet. Will she find her bus? Will she get off the bus with a smile? Did she have a good day? Did she eat her lunch? Did she make friends? Did she like her teacher? Too many thoughts to go through the head for those seven hours.




By 2:55 we were at the bus stop and waiting for the sound of those breaks! We waited for probably 30 minutes. (I got out there a little early and the bus was a little late) During that time we had a surprise drive up...daddy came home early to see how her day went!!! (I love this man)
Aidan and Olivia waiting in the heat to see the bus
Harper sweating in the heat...waiting


It's here, it's here, it's here!!!
The first thing Grace did was grab daddy's hand. But then she turned and ran into my arms. I hope I always remember that special moment. (it brought the tears)
So happy to have daddy to share about the day!
So happy her sissy is home
Olivia is much happier

To take my mind off the day I made cupcakes...and they were good!
So we enjoyed a back to school snack and talked about the day! Grace said she had a great day. Some of the things she shared....
*She ate mac-n-cheese for lunch with chocolate milk and opened the milk all by herself
*She doesn't want to buy her lunch again...she does want to buy her lunch again...no...maybe yes
*She went to art today and drew fruit
*She likes her teacher, she is silly and funny
*She said the funniest part of the day was when a boy told Ms. Marks boo. Not really sure of the story but Grace had giggles when she told me
*Her high of the day was, "Seeing you when I got off the bus"
*Her low was telling us goodbye in the morning
*She got a treat for being a good listener but her friend Cory didn't b/c she talked to much
*She met a new friend named Elizabeth who rides her bus
*She said she didn't sit by anybody at lunch or play with anybody on the playground
*And the bus took FOREVER to get her home
And on the night of her first day of school her mind was racing. She was excited about going back and had a HARD time falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment